WAGGMedia

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Facebook is the new morning paper

For years, I've told people that the internet was my morning newspaper. I don't read the newspaper as much as I used to - all the news i need is online, be it CNN.com, NY1.com, or any of the other endless sources of 24-hour news that exist on the 'net.

But in the past year or so, Facebook has been my source of news info. When I wake up, I *need* to know that Kristen is rooting her heart out for the local Roller Derby team or that Jimmie is looking forward to vacation with his family or that Dylan is working hard on the latest project at his job.

This is what news has become - it has become updates of the people we care about, not some stranger who was rear-ended on the Bronx River Parkway last night or shot in a trailer park in Tyler, TX.

And when *my* Facebook status indicated that this was how my day started now, the sheer number of responses from friends who did the same thing surprised me. Apparently, this really is where things have come, and where they are going.

One friend remarked "That is exactly why I like FB. I love knowing — however strange, banal or brief — how everyone is doing."

Another stated "Lol! Me too! But it's still reality and they're people we know so it's like catching up with a few hundred of your closest friends and family each day! So cool!"

And a third remarked "It is so bizarre but I do it, too. Then I blow through the NPR twitter feeds and email. All before my shower or speaking to another human."

On and on the responses came, all similar in sentiment.

Facebook has become the go to place for information about people in our lives - both personally and professionally.

Aside from the fun and relatively frivolous updates from our friends, seeing updates on your professional contacts may help you get that slight edge you need to close that sale, get that contract, or whatever it is you're trying to accomplish.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I was the only one! Great post, Josh. Very true indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Add to Technorati Favorites