WAGGMedia

Monday, August 17, 2009

A world without Social Media

For the last few weeks, I was on vacation. For some of that time, I had almost no internet access. Three days with no access whatsoever, and another 4 days where only my Palm Treo 755p, which is almost like no internet access.

It was strange. Unable to update my blogs, to update my Facebook status, to send Tweets. It was almost like being stranded on a desert island, with no way to communicate to everyone back home.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not a total communications junkie. I don't have a Blackberry where I can check email 24/7, and nor do I want one. Yes, I am one of those people who constantly text, but when the situation calls for it, I have no problem putting down my phone.

This was different though. I enjoy Social Media. Heck, I've made it my career choice. But not being able to Tweet or update Facebook was certainly an experiment in patience. Yes, there have been times when I didn't update for three days, but the difference was, the access.

20 years ago, I'd go camping, and might lament missing my favorite TV shows. 15 years ago, I'd go camping, and miss this new thing called the internet. 10 and 5 years ago, I would definitely be missing the internet.

Now, it's Facebook and Twitter.

And based on some of the messages waiting for me when I returned to Social Media civilization, plenty of people missed me too.

Times have changed, and Social Media has become an important part of our world, on par with television and the internet in terms of getting your message across.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites